Jo, Olivia and Rosa

Jo, Olivia and Rosa

Tuesday 28 October 2014

Day 2...

So day 2 of our modified diet is nearly over.

What have I drunk today? 
I've tried a number of different thickened drinks today.
I found that summer fruits squash was the most hydrating, and the best for drinking throughout the day, as it thickens easily and tastes good.
I also tried thickened water, which tasted very starchy and therefore I wouldn't recommend it.
I enjoyed a chocolate milkshake (made with nesquick powder and milk) thickened to stage 2/custard consistency. This drink actually suited being thickened, and I would really recommend it.
I also had a mocha (half coffee, half hot chocolate)  from the drinks machine at uni, half way through my morning lectures.  This was also well suited to being thick but is not a sweet as hot chocolate, which is nice for during the day.  However, I used a different thickener to what I'm used to, and made the mistake of putting it in after the liquid which meant there were lumps at the bottom of my drink.... So, my advice for today would be READ THE INSTRUCTIONS, as every thickener is different!  


Breakfast:
Instant oat cereal (readybrek) and honey







I often have porridge for breakfast so found that this was a comforting meal, because it was very similar to what I am used to.  I found that it really filled me up and was very satisfying. It doesn't take long to make (2minutes) but does require a microwave.

Lunch:
We decided to try a FORK MASHABLE lunch today rather than puree, as we wanted to see how easy it would be to go out and eat on a modified diet, and to demonstrate what this kind of meal might should look like.  So, in our lunch break, we took a trip to a local jacket potato shop.


I had a jacket potato with cheese, tuna and beans.  It was easy to mash with a fork, (although you must remember to remove the skin) and very tasty.



Dinner:
Smoked cod, potato and carrots  to a pureed consistency.


The fish was very difficult to blend, and although I added milk and butter (as recommended on recipe websites for puree meals)  I didn't manage to get it to a smooth consistency.  Although I am usually a great lover of fish, it was not something I enjoyed in a puree form.
I boiled the potatoes until they were soft, and then added butter and a small amount of milk to blend. This made them lovely and creamy.



Snacks:
Chocolate angel delight

I am a complete chocaholic and couldn't possibly have gone a week without any, so I got my chocolate fix today from an angel delight, which is also high in calcium as it is made with milk. Just be sure to allow it to set in the fridge before eating it. Or to add thickener if you wish to eat it sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment