Jo, Olivia and Rosa

Jo, Olivia and Rosa

Monday 27 October 2014

Day 1....

Today is day 1 of our 5 days on a modified diet, typical of one recommended to a person with dysphagia.  So here is how it went...


Breakfast:
Plain yoghurt, layered with a homemade berry coulis and sweetened with honey.

 This was a simple breakfast which was very enjoyable.  The coulis was made by blending a variety of red berries, which I would then recommend passing through a sieve to remove the seeds. It is more practical to make a whole pot of coulis that you can just use throughout the week, as this will save time.



Lunch:  
Homemade leek and potato soup.


I made this yesterday afternoon and put it in the fridge to reheat as my lunch. I thickened the soup to a puree consistency using cornflour, and blended it until it was completely smooth.
NOTE:*Soup must always be at least the thickness of the fluids you have been recommended*
NOTE: *When reheating the soup, check the consistency. You may have to add milk (or cream if on fortified diet) as it can get even thicker when left overnight in the fridge*



Dinner:
Cheesy quorn fillets, sweet potato and pees.  To a thick puree consistency.


I roasted the quorn fillets for 15 minutes before blending with a small amount of milk and cheese (this could be fortified by adding cream instead of milk).  I roasted the sweet potato until very soft, then peeled the skin off, and mashed the flesh with a fork until smooth.  I boiled the peas and blended them.

I found that the quorn lost its temperature very quickly whilst I was preparing the other food, so I put it in the microwave to make sure it was hot before eating it.





What did I find most challenging?
First thing this morning, I woke up with a very dry mouth and really wanted a glass of pure, un-thickened water. However, I obviously couldn't have that, and plain water isn't very pleasant thickened, as it tastes starchy. So instead I had a glass of half water, half mango juice, which I thickened to stage two, or 'custard' consistency.  Although this didn't quench my thirst in the same way that water would, it was a satisfying drink, which tasted good and which was palatable at a thick consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment